Sunday, January 6, 2008

Lakota Update

I heard back in December that there was some division in the Lakota nation between Russell Means and his followers, and the tribal elders; but did not give it much thought at the time. It turns out that the "Republic of Lakotah" is a splinter group -- the mainstream Lakota, including the tribal elders, constitute the Lakota Oyate.

News prior to today was a bit confusing for most of us, as I demonstrated last Friday. I stand by the comments I made then (but respecting the Lakota Oyate, not the "Republic of Lakotah"), but wish the journalists would clarify what is going on (while understanding perfectly well why they ignore the whole movement).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I live in Nebraska. I'm an elderly lady and believe in what the Lakota are doing, reclaiming their rights and freedom from government control. I see on the net, some Lakota do not want their 'freedom,' and, as you brought up, there is a division, Republic of Lakota differing. I would think, if they would set aside these divisions, and bond in their endeavor, it would have a good chance of success.

Derrick said...

I'm sure that British loyalists called our founding fathers a "splinter group". From what I understand, the tribal government in place is a US government sanctioned tribal government and relative to the American Revolution, they would be like the colonial governors set in place by the British Crown. That's not to say that I either agree or disagree with what they are doing, just making a point.

Anonymous said...

hi greetings from vienna.

to the people of lakota, fight for you freedom, fight for your rights, you are doing the right!