Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Fascism in 10 easy steps

Things like this do not reduce my enthusiasm for Ohio independence:

The Guardian, a British newspaper, published a well-documented article listing ten steps that carry a democratic regime into totalitarianism. It appears that we are rather far along...

The 10 steps are:
1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy (terrorists?)
2. Create a gulag (Guantánamo?)
3. Develop a thug caste (like the security guys in Iraq?)
4. Set up an internal surveillance system (to read e-mail from
abroad?)
5. Harass citizens' groups
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release
7. Target key individuals
8. Control the press
9. Dissent equals treason
10. Suspend the rule of law


It reminds me of a poem by the German activist Rev. Martin Niemöller describing the Nazis:

First they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew.
Then they came for the Communists, and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
Then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Thanks to the Taxman blog, written by a CPA in Cincinnati, for bringing it to my attention -- even if he doesn't take it seriously.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The present admin might have skipped a step. Check out the following story from PC World. I saw a similar report on Deutsche Welle's Journal and the subsequent outrage by some German officials at this ridiculous policy, a policy I see as random detention (at first, of data). You know the next step...