Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Obamacare is a Constitutional right?

Congresswoman Sheila Jackson-Lee (D-Houston, Texas) said so on the floor of the House yesterday, as reported by American Spectator:*
“The Fifth Amendment speaks specifically to denying someone their life and liberty without due process," she said in a speech on the House floor moments ago. "That is what H.R. 2 does and I rise in opposition to it. And I rise in opposition because it is important that we preserve lives and we recognize that 40 million-plus are uninsured.

She continued, "Can you tell me what’s more unconstitutional than taking away from the people of America their Fifth Amendment rights, their Fourteenth Amendment rights, and the right to equal protection under the law?”

Jackson Lee mentioned the names of several people who she said would be helped by the national health care law, including a schizophrenic, a dialysis patient, and somebody whose mother cannot otherwise get dental care. “I know they would question why we are taking away their rights,” she said.

She went on to declare, “I’m prepared to stand, extend a hand of friendship, standing on the Constitution to enable us to provide for all the citizens of this country. This bill has been vetted. This bill is constitutional and it protects the Constitutional rights of those who ask the question: ‘Must I die? Must my child die, because I am now disallowed from getting insurance?'"
So according to Rep. Jackson-Lee's logic, we have to keep all our entitlements, because to take them away is to deny people their Fifth and Fourteenth Amendment rights. And when the federal government finally acknowledges its bankruptcy and has to cut back or eliminate some of these entitlements, how would the distinguished Congresswoman from Texas reconcile her interpretation of the Constitution with fiscal reality?

* I am reporting from the American Spectator because it has the most complete account, but it has also been reported in the Dallas Morning News blog, FoxNews, NewsBusters, and other sites.

1 comment:

Barga said...

his is what I don't understand about the democrats in office right now. Sure, if you want UHC then make the law, and get it through the courts (I believe that it will be a 6-3 in favor decision by SCOTUS). The idea of making stuff up, especially these 'rights,' makes this absurd, and really just makes me disgusted with the D party.

I want a real party back, something we moderates can like