Friday, April 18, 2008

New masthead - same great content!

I have redesigned the masthead to The Ohio Republic to present a more distinctive look. The Liberty Head is taken from the US large cent that was minted prior to 1857. During the Civil War, the Peace Democrats (the Ohioans who wanted to let the Confederacy go) cut the Liberty Head from the large cents and made them into pins to identify themselves. This then led to them being called “copperheads”. It therefore impressed me as a highly appropriate symbol for Ohio secessionism.

1 comment:

Matthew Cember said...

Thank you so much Harold for doing this research! I have obtained The Limits of Dissent: Clement Vallandigam and the Civil War from my library but given the fact that finals are coming up I haven't had a chance to look at it much.