Thursday, March 20, 2008

"A More Perfect Union"

Sen. Barack Obama (left) certainly did distance himself from Rev. Wright's rhetoric, in one of the most beautiful and potentially powerful speeches I have read in some time. I encourage you to view it on his site, or to read it (this link is to the Drudge Report Flash site).

Clearly, this speech came from the heart, and is not the work of some spin doctor. It was an extremely courageous speech in a nation that has been gripped in fear of even discussing openly our racial issues. However, the test of a President's leadership is the ability to translate fine words into effective action; and his ability in this regard remains to be determined.

I do not want to be cynical. We need new hope for all our people. At the same time, the entrenched corporate kleptocracy will be difficult to dislodge. While I stand by my assertion that the United States is too large and complex to support a free government, I am willing to be proven wrong.

I shall wait and see what comes of it ...

1 comment:

Ben said...

If Obama truly thought it was so important to give this speech, he would have done it before he thought it a political necessity to do so, IMO.